SHARE THIS SHOW:
RECENTLY ON TOL:
- A tumblr site dedicated to the people and places that make up Oregon and Southwest Washington.
2013 Legislative Session Kicks Off
Editor's Note: We will carry Governor Kitzhaber's State of the State address live on air before our show. He is expected to speak at about 11:30am.
The 2013 legislative session officially begins on Monday, Jan. 14. It's shaping up to be a lively few months in Salem. Lawmakers started debating the controversial issue of gun control even before the session got underway. And the governor is already clashing with union leaders over how to reform the pension system for state workers. Education is sure to be a hot topic along with public safety. Business leaders in the state have also have a lot on their legislative agenda.
Because it's an odd-numbered year, the session can go as long as 160 days. That's four and half times as long as the 2012 session, which was limited to 35 days.
What's on your legislative agenda?
- Chris Lehman: Capitol reporter for OPB News
- Jim Moore: Political science professor and director of the Tom McCall Center for Policy Innovation at Pacific University
- Christian Gaston: Reporter for The Oregonian
- Hannah Hoffman: Reporter for The Statesman Journal
- Tina Kotek: Speaker of the Oregon House (D-Portland)
- Mike McLane: Oregon House Minority Leader (R-Powell Butte)
Photo credit: OPB/Julie Sabatier