SHARE THIS SHOW:
OTHER SEGMENTS THIS HOUR:
RECENTLY ON TOL:
- A tumblr site dedicated to the people and places that make up Oregon and Southwest Washington.
Changing Water Use
Water rates are going up all over Oregon. The water coming out of taps in Umatilla will cost users 15 percent more than it did last month when they get their bills in August. It's the first time that city has raised water rates in over a decade. Water users from Tigard to Hermiston are also bracing for dramatic rate increases over the next few years. And in Portland an 85 percent increase in water rates is expected over the next five years, an announcement that drew protests earlier this year.
Are water rates going up where you live? What will this mean for your budget at home or in your business? Will you take shorter showers? Buy more efficient appliances? Consider using more rainwater?
- George Fenton: City Council President and acting mayor of Umatilla
- Jodenne Scott: Cash manager and ledger accountant at Shari's Restaurant
- Ralph Jones: Co-founder and managing director of The Cadmus Group
- Tom Keenan: President and CEO of Portland Bottling Co.