SHARE THIS SHOW:
RECENTLY ON TOL:
- A tumblr site dedicated to the people and places that make up Oregon and Southwest Washington.
Execution in Washington
Cal Coburn Brown was executed at the Washington State Penitentiary just before 1:00am on Friday. Brown has confessed to murdering 22-year-old Holly Washa in 1991. He was also convicted of torturing and raping her. Washington Governor Chris Gregoire has said she will not grant clemency to Brown, and the U.S. Supreme Court has denied his appeal hours before he became the first death row inmate to be executed in Washington since 2001. He was also the first person to die by the state's new single drug lethal injection method.
How have public opinion and execution methods changed over time? Have your views changed? What difference do a prisoner's last words make?
- Anna King: Regional reporter for OPB News
- Richard Dieter: Executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center
- Patricia Murphy: Reporter for KUOW
- Robert K. Elder: Author of Last Words of the Executed and regional editor for Patch.com
Comments are now closed.