SHARE THIS SHOW:
RECENTLY ON TOL:
- A tumblr site dedicated to the people and places that make up Oregon and Southwest Washington.
Health Care Ruling
The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled on the constitutionality of certain provisions of the Affordable Care Act. Since the arguments three months ago, there has been much speculation about how the ruling could turn out and what that would mean for ordinary Americans as well as presidential candidates.
The ruling is far from simple, but the individual mandate that was at the heart of the challenge to the law, has been upheld. The court ruled that the requiring individuals to purchase healthcare or pay a penalty fine is constitutional if it is treated as a tax.
Have you been awaiting the Supreme Court's ruling on health care? What outcomes were you hoping for? What does the ruling mean for you?
- Lisa McElroy: Associate professor of law at Drexel University's Earle Mack School of Law
- Mike Bonetto: Health Policy Adviser to Governor Kitzhaber
- Rocky King: Executive Director of the Oregon Health Insurance Exchange corporation
- Paul Gronke: Political science professor at Reed College