RECENTLY ON TOL:
- A tumblr site dedicated to the people and places that make up Oregon and Southwest Washington.
I am a retired Social Worker with the state. My Points:
1. When there is stress the stressed groups tend to lash out at each other--a Versus mentality. We need to get away from that. We all need good health care.
2. In public jobs, retention is essential. I can't imagine agencies functioning without most workers needing at least four years experience. Also, workers do a better job when they know their families have health insurance.
3. If we had Universal Health Care, we could bargain for lower rates on drugs, etc. I've visited France and Canada this year. Health insurance and drug costs are only a fraction of what they are here--and everyon has basic health insurance. Insurance needs to be for people--not profits.
4. Many times I have given up cost of living increases to have health insurance and a decent retirement. And retirement for state employees, now, is not extravagent. The crisis for retirement benefits is largely the result of the lack of regulations on financial companies.
5. Many public employees have very low wages. I've heard clerical staff say it is difficult even to pay for their apartment. These folks, especially, need good benefits--especially single parents.
6. And lastly, ask "Who are our heroes?" I would suggest thinking about the caseworker who works late at night to make sure a child is safe and secure, the nurse who not only has technical skills, but must have a caring manner; the fireman, policmen, prison worker, hospital aide, the workers who make sure our food, and roads are safe, and all the staff that support them. Public workers provide health and safety and keep our systems working. Stories of courage and dedication happen many times a day.
Thanks for Caring
posted 2 years, 10 months ago
view in context