RECENTLY ON TOL:
- A tumblr site dedicated to the people and places that make up Oregon and Southwest Washington.
Thank for hosting the discussion addressing the tension between demand for public services and our ability to pay for them. Unfortunately, a critical conversation was devoid of much substantive information. The business representative offered nothing more than platitudes and while more prepared, Mr. Towers hardly presented the realities of the current budget with honest numbers and candor. These are tough times and quantifiable facts need to drive common ground solutions. If it's true that 60% of union members makes +/- $40K, what does the other 40% make and what % of the total budget do their salaries and benefits makes up? SEIU is not the only public employee union -- in aggregate how do we stack up? Is it true that we are #1 to #3 in the nation in wages/benefits for employers? We are among tops in unemployment? OBA offered no real ideas about job creation and SEIU seems to believe that there is a limitless ATM for legitimate services - but we can't make decisions based on heart rending stories. I hope the next Governor and legislative session forces an honest debate that picks up the reset committee's work in earnest. I'm not optimistic based on Deckert's palpable trembling to even take on SEIU's unsustainable view on state expenditures.
posted 2 years, 9 months ago
view in context