RECENTLY ON TOL:
- A tumblr site dedicated to the people and places that make up Oregon and Southwest Washington.
on Up or Out?
I would also advocate growing up instead of out. However, we have some issues to address:
1) Crime - as population densities grow, so does urban crime. THis has always been the pattern in america. How will the police/sheriffs handle this.
2) Diversity - increased density increases diversity. It also generates "White Flight" to the suburbs. With the PPD already challenged by the diverse communities it must serve, how will it respond? How will we reduce the inevitable conflicts of culture and lifestyle in a dense population environment?
3) Transportation - The one person, one car model doesn't work (just ask NYC or Wshington DC). But out public transportation infrastructur is already stressed. MAX isn't the answer - you have to get to a MAX Station. And cutting bus routes to support MAX just makes the problems worse.
4) Housing - as density increases, Housing prices go up. NYC has rent control, which has lead to run down appartement buildings because the owners cant afford to keep them up. Without rent control, rents soon eliminate lower income families.
5) Business Growth - Manufauturing becomes problematic in an up not out scenario. Cost of facilities to all business will rise. This rise can cause jobs to leave the area.
How we respond to these challenges will determine the success and viability of the urban area we call Portland.
posted 3 years, 5 months ago
view in context